Monday, April 27, 2009

Gardening...

Just the idea of me gardening is quite humorous. :) I am allergic to grass outside, so I tend to not do anything with flower gardening or food gardening. Plus, frankly, I never had the time!! I find it kind of funny that I have more time now, with a 2 year old and all... but I am home more... and I think she'd like to hang out outside more.

So, this year I've decided (again) to plant some new plants outside... I ordered:
- 40 Blazing Star bulbs (20 white and 20 lavender),
- a 3 piece Garden Aster set, and
- a 2 piece Azaleas set.

I'm going to try to get them planted early this week, 'cause they came in on Friday.

Now, I need to find a bush for the front yard, and a tree. Both need to be not-too-tall (bush, maybe 2' tall, but spread... and tree, not over 10' tall I'd say). I'm looking at a Dwarf Lemon Tree... but haven't bought it yet.

For more fun, I'm considering a blueberry bush, too. But, not for the short bush I need. I'd take out a couple of the ones next to the house that I don't like...and put this in. We'll see. I am going to start small, and work my way up!!! haha

The ones I'm most worried about are the Azaleas. They are pretty, but it said something about shade/partial day sun... and I was going to put it in full sun. So, I might have to change my spot for them... I wonder how they'd do under my two pine trees in the back yard...?

Any gardening tips to share?!!!

Peace.

2 comments:

Beautiful Mess said...

I can't help you with any gardening advice. I do know that a saucer of beer will keep the slugs away. That's as good as I get. Good luck, I can't wait to see how beautiful they are!

ellen said...

Azaleas like "acidic" soil & I've read that pine needles are acidic, so that sounds like a good place to plant them.

Azaleas are one of the few flowering plants that like shade/partial shade. My neighbor has a beautiful one! I planted 2 two years ago though & haven't had any blooms. I'm not good about watering though & they're on a hillside so they don't get as much water from rainfall.

Seems like I once saw a variety of Azalea that was labeled for sun/partial sun - it's rare though.