Saturday, October 24, 2009

Bread...made of squash

So, I made butternut squash the night before last... and I figure it is pretty close to pumpkin, so why not use it in my bread recipe...?? Yep, I'm crazy.

Oh, and I didn't have any flour in the house. How is that possible, you ask? Well, I haven't baked in awhile and I don't like to leave it just sit forever, so apparently I was out. So, what did I do? I took oats and ground them in the blender/processor attachment. Yep.



So, now it isn't just pumpkin bread... it's going to be butternut squash oatmeal bread. Hmmmm. it's baking right now. Let's see how this goes!! It might turn out to be a huge failure, but I was determined to try something. I know... I should have gone to the store, but I was lazy. Not to lazy to attempt to bake with odd ingredients... but lazy enough to not go to the store today. That's on tomorrow's list. Especially, if this bread turns out awful. Oh, and it seems like it was just a snad runnier going into the pan than I thought it should be, so who knows... it might really be bad.

Oh well! :)

Update to come....

...Update #1 - if it tastes anything like it smells.... mmmhhh it smells wonderful!!! have 30 minutes or more before it's done...

...Update #2 - OMG it is yummy. definitely sweet bread, but the squash is perfectly fine in it!

SO, what I modified of the recipe below is:

1. instead of white flour, I ground oatmeal and used the oat flour
2. instead of oil, i used apple sauce 1:1
3. instead of pumpkin, i used butternut squash 1:1

YUM YUM YUM

Peace.

2 comments:

Beautiful Mess said...

WOOOHOOO!!!! Nice job! Send me some ;o)
*HUGS*

Billy said...

Glad it came out so good!
Reminds me how when we were kids and wanted to make cheese cake, except there was no white cheese in the house, so we used cottage cheese, and crackers instead of biscuits... And yes, it was a total failure!